Tunisia forecasts $515million in tourism losses after beach attack

Tunisia estimates at least $515 million in losses in 2015 for its tourism industry after last Friday's attack on a beach hotel that killed 39 people, mostly British holidaymakers, the tourism minister said.

Tourists carry a Tunisian flag along Marhaba beach where 39 people were killed in a terrorist attack on June 28, 2015 in Souuse, Tunisia. (Getty Images)

"The attack had a great impact on the economy, the losses will be large," Tourism Minister Salma Loumi told reporters late on Monday giving a preliminary estimate.

The North African country earned $1.95 billion in revenues from tourism last year. The sector makes up seven percent of its gross domestic product and is a major source of foreign currency and employment for Tunisia.