Police continue to Investigate Teenagers death

Police are continuing to investigate after a teenage girl died after a suspected allergic reaction. 

18-year-old Shahida Shahid, of Salford, died after a suspected allergic reaction following a meal at Manchester restaurant Almost Famous it is thought she told staff at the burger bar about her food allergies before eating there, an inquest has heard.

Initial tests have revealed the cause of death was brain damage caused by a severe allergic reaction, the hearing was told.

Shahida, who was studying maths at Manchester University, was rushed to hospital after eating at the restaurant in the Great Northern Warehouse.

At about 8.30pm on Friday 9 January 2015, police were called to Withy Grove in Manchester city centre following reports Shahida had collapsed. 

She was rushed to hospital but she sadly died a few days later. 

Greater Manchester Police and Manchester City Council's Environmental Health department and continuing to conduct a joint investigation into the circumstances into surrounding Shahida's tragic death. 

Officers are also continuing to appeal to anyone with information to come forward. 

Detective Inspector Neil Coop said: "It has been a month since Shahida's family suffered a terrible loss and a young girl lost her life. 

"Clearly her family both want, and deserve answers, are we are determined to get those answers for them. 

"Greater Manchester Police, alongside Manchester City Council, are carrying out a joint investigation into Shahida's death. This investigation has a wide remit and will look at possible criminal offences under the Food Information Regulations and serious breaches of food safety legislation. 

"Given the complexity of those inquiries and that the legislation is relatively new, this is likely to be a protracted investigation. However, it is vitally important we take that time to establish all the facts so we can understand exactly what happened and how Shahida tragically died. 

"I would therefore continue to ask anyone who has information about what happened to contact us and help us with our inquiries." 

Cllr Bernard Priest, Manchester City Council's deputy leader, said: "This was a tragic case in which a teenage girl lost her life, and I would urge anyone who knows anything about what happened to contact the police with information." 

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 8531